General information about the ABIM exam.
2 posts • Page 1 of 1
Percentile

by Garddog12 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:41 pm

What percentile of number correct and what ranking percentile among others is associated with passing?

Re: Percentile

by Admin » Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:00 am

Great question! The truth is - As you might expect, there is not a 1-to-1 correlation between the percentage of questions answered correctly within a qbank and performance on the actual exam (ABIM, Shelf Exam, Step 3... or any other exam). There are far too many factors that ultimately factor into your actual exam performance. It depends on your full study plan, how many questions you've practiced, your understanding of the concepts within the explanations and videos. It also depends on external factors - how early you started studying, what other sources you've used, your preparation outside direct exam prep.

Hence, the question cannot be answered with a simple percent. The percentile ranking will instead you a good idea of where you rank amongst your peers - not what your exam result will be. With that said, studies have shown that practicing questions using an interactive study tool is one of the best ways to remain engaged and learn! I wish I could give you a more definitive percent answer but anything more specific would be not be accurate! I hope this helps.... if we can clarify anything us, let me know!

2 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to ABIM Exam Forum