Use this forum for general discussion
3 posts • Page 1 of 1
How do I stop cold air from coming through my windows?

by PiterWon » Fri Nov 03, 2023 8:03 pm

How do I stop cold air from coming through my windows?

Re: How do I stop cold air from coming through my windows?

by MarshallLester » Fri Nov 03, 2023 8:57 pm

"To stop cold air from coming through your windows try putting up some insulated curtains or use some thick blankets to hang up over your windows.
That will help keep the cold air from entering your house through the windows and help hold the heat in your house as well.
Also check around the windows for cold drafts and use caulking to stop those drafts.
You can also buy some plastic shrink wrap for windows that you put over the windows and then use a hair dryer on the hot heat setting to shrink the plastic window wrap to tight.
That then keeps the heat in your house as well and stops cold drafts especially from older windows.
Then in the spring or summer you can remove the wrap and use it again next year.
Home Depot and other hardware stores and I believe even Walmart sells it as well.
Installing plastic on your drafty windows does really help with cold drafts.
If you do have cold drafts coming through your windows try to find out where the cold drafts are actually coming through the window from.
if there's any air leakage take some caulking and seal those air leaks up which also helps.
You can use a candle while lit and move the lit candle around the window where the drafts seem to be coming from and then seal those areas or just seal the whole window with caulking.
Then put the plastic shrink wrap on the windows and use a hair dryer to shrink the plastic until it's tight.
I have used the plastic shrink wrap on my old drafty windows in winter and it really did help until I could buy and install new insulated windows.
Installing a blanket over the windows or an insulated curtain over the windows can also help keep out cold drafts and reduce your heating bills."

Re: How do I stop cold air from coming through my windows?

by larissonfiona » Sun Nov 05, 2023 5:54 pm

Speaking of repairs, I can say that many people are faced with window crank replacement. Crank windows are designed to be easy to open and close. This is especially important when the window is in a hard to reach place. The crank mechanism itself opens and closes the window, so if this part of the window hardware is damaged or broken, it needs to be replaced.

3 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to General Discussion