Use this forum for general discussion
3 posts • Page 1 of 1
About getting into marathon running

by Jimclatone » Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:13 am

Hey fellow runners! I've been thinking about getting into marathon running lately, and I was wondering, what advice do you have for a newbie like me? Any tips on training, nutrition, or even mental preparation?

Re: About getting into marathon running

by Carlredford » Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:50 am

That's awesome that you're considering marathon running. My biggest piece of advice would be to start here https://ironhorse100kmclub.com/ with a well-structured training plan. Gradually increase your mileage each week, incorporating long runs and speed work. Consistency is key, and make sure to include rest days to avoid burnout and injuries. Nutrition-wise, focus on a balanced diet with enough carbs for energy, protein for recovery, and don't forget hydration. Mental toughness is crucial in marathons, so practice visualization and positive affirmations during your training. Good luck on your journey!

Re: About getting into marathon running

by maxfalton80 » Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:30 am

Welcome to the world of marathon running, Carl! To add to what SpeedyStrider mentioned, consider incorporating some trail running into your training. It not only adds variety but also strengthens stabilizing muscles and offers a mental break from road monotony. Don't underestimate the importance of cross-training – activities like cycling or swimming can improve overall fitness and reduce the risk of overuse injuries. As for nutrition, experiment during long runs to find what fuels you best. And remember, enjoy the process! Marathons are as much about the journey as the finish line. Embrace the challenges, and you'll emerge a stronger runner. Happy running!

3 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to General Discussion